on 4-2-2008 4:41 AM Brent L. Bates spake the following:
     Sendmail used to automatically compare creation dates of the text and
database aliases files and when the text one was newer than the database one,
sendmail would automatically update the database file at a convenient time.
 This made a lot of sense.  However, the powers that be decided to break this
great feature and removed it.  I copied it back into to source we use.

Many newer distros add that functionality to the init scripts. I seem to recall that option had some bad side effects, and that is why sendmail removed it. I wish I could remember what the problem was.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and