Anne Wilson wrote:
Labelling in gmail doesn't help if you are forwarding to an Outlook account,
though.

outlook supports imap, doesn't it? I have my wife setup with Microsoft Windows Mail (Vista, fka outlook express) using imap on gmail, and it works /great/

she gets the best of both worlds, it maintains copies of her folders locally AND on the gmail server, and synchronizes each time she connects so that she can look up stuff in her email when she's offline.

the imap 'folders' she creates in windows mail are in fact filters on gmail.