Rudi Ahlers wrote:

I mainly want to use it as a backup server for hosting servers, so I'll focus on FTP / SSH / SFTP / iSCSI (if possible), and maybe NFS - I don't want SMB (for security reasons). I'll probably also add Webmin to allow users to browse their backups via HTTPS, manage folders, etc.

You might like backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/) for a backup system that will let individual machine 'owners' browse/restore their own backups while using compression and linking all duplicate files to use much less disk space than you'd expect. There's some tradeoff in speed compared to straight rsync and it needs more CPU, but the disk savings and ease of use might be worth it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]