on 7-2-2008 3:14 PM Victor Padro spake the following:

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Scott Silva <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    on 7-2-2008 8:52 AM Victor Padro spake the following:

        On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Rudi Ahlers
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>> wrote:

           nate wrote:

               Rudi Ahlers wrote:

I think my action plan now will be to figure out how to
                   install CentOS
                   on a USB memory stick and make it boot on any machine
                   (making it easy to
                   replace if need be), and then to play around with the
        RAID a
                   bit and see
                   how well it works.
               Another option you may want to consider is a PATA->CF
        adapter. I use
               these for my OpenBSD firewalls and have them installed on
        1GB CF
               cards.
               Performance should be better? Compatibility certainly is
        better,
               there's
               no way I could boot to USB off these aging P3-800
        systems. The
               CF cards
               just show up as regular HDs

               I use these ($7):
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SY-ADIDE2CF-B1&cpc=SCH
        <http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SY-ADIDE2CF-B1&cpc=SCH>
<http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SY-ADIDE2CF-B1&cpc=SCH
        <http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SY-ADIDE2CF-B1&cpc=SCH>>

               Paired with Lexar CF cards. Not all CF is created equal, well
               maybe it is
               today. I found my Lexar CF cards were 5-10x faster than my
               Kingston cards
               of the same size, which surprised me. Not that I need high
               performance in
               firewalls that do no disk I/O but it was painful for the OS
               install to
               take hours(Kingston) instead of minutes(Lexar). Both
        pairs of CF
               cards
               are a few years old, today maybe everything out there is
        reasonably
               fast.

               At least with the above adapters be aware that those
        adapters above
               do stick up. I think a 2U chassis can fit them(I have tons of
               experience
               in supermicro systems). But no guarantees. You may need
        another
               adapter
               or perhaps a male to female IDE cable so that you can
        mount it
               another
               way in the chassis.

               I suppose you could even get two and run RAID.

               Just don't put your swap on the flash if you can avoid it.

               nate

           Thanx, nate

           That's a good suggestion, but I think the USB memory sticks could
           work better / more reliable, and will be easier to access in the
           cabinet. I'll play around with it a bit and see how it works.

           --
           Kind Regards
           Rudi Ahlers

           Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com
           Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or
           other technical stuff, or visit
        http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for
           Web Hosting stuff

        Hi,

        (I apologize in advance if someone thinks this is OT)

        I've been reading this thread since it started, and what I could
        really say is you should go for freenas, it can be installed in
        a matter of minutes in a usb pendrive, I use it on a 2gb
        kingston one using an IBM eServer tower chassis, Intel D201GLY2
        mainboard, 1Gb 667Mhz RAM, 2 HDs those are 750gb SATA in RAID5

    2 drives in raid5? Then it is really only a raid 0, and will fail
    sooner or later.

Even if it's fake RAID5(RAID software)?
Didn't know that.
Raid 5 need a minimum of 3 drives. The only way to get 2 drives in software raid is to create the array with the "missing" statement.
With only 2 drives, you have a stripe with a failed parity.

So 2 drives is already missing one, and the next failure is doom.
Raid 1 (mirror) is fine with 2 drives.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and