    Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 17:38:22 +0200
    From: Rudi Ahlers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] how do I find out which nameserver returns a DNS query?

Hi Ken

I thought dig would return it, but it doesn't.

Look at this:

dig hfserver1.hostfactor.co.za

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> hfserver1.hostfactor.co.za
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;hfserver1.hostfactor.co.za.    IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
hfserver1.hostfactor.co.za. 6000 IN     A       196.34.136.50

;; Query time: 287 msec
;; SERVER: 4.2.2.1#53(4.2.2.1)
;; WHEN: Mon Jul  7 17:36:45 2008
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 60

I know I can dig @server - but I want to know which is the active
server that returns a result at the moment

--
Ok, sorry, let me re-phrase.

I want to know on my own server, which of my nameservers replied to the DNS query. In this example 4.2.2.1 is our ISP's upstream DNS server, which is configured in /etc/resolv.conf - so it should technically appear there.

But, let's say I query host1.myserver.co.za - and myserver.co.za is on another server, and has ns1.myserver.co.za, ns2.myserver.co.za, ns3myserver.co.za & ns4.myserver.co.za

So, as far as I know, any one of those can reply (round robbin DNS?), but I would like to know which one replies for this particular dig. Is that possible? I don't want to specify a server to query, I want to find out which of the 4 returns the query. If it's a cached reply, does it mean I won't see it?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com