Scott Silva wrote:

I choose CentOS because I believe it is the most stable OS in
commodity machines.
But I don't know how to do when facing the trouble.

The difference lies in that I patched a PF_RING patch in original
kernel and recompiled
the kernel to run my machines. I wonder whether the patched kernel
crashes the CentOS
because PF_RING automatically downloads the kernel codes from
www.kernel.org, but not
the one from www.centos.org? Or, the centOS holds the bugs in its distribution?

When you use a custom kernel, you usually get to keep the pieces.

Go buy a new car and change the engine and then see if they honor the warranty.

We stopped using Dell machines some time ago. For some reason there reliability has been steadily falling. I don't know if they are doing non-standard stuff in their bios's or just using less than optimal hardware to cut costs, but I probably won't go back.

well ... my $work has been using dell exclusively for servers and workstations for 5 years.

I have had no real issues with either the poweredge servers or the desktops and Dell has always sent parts in a timely manner to replace any broken system under warranty.

We don't have too many servers (about 20 in 5 locations) or workstations (about 150 in 5 locations) but I have had no problem with Dell machines or their service ... maybe I am just lucky.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes