Lanny Marcus wrote:
However with IMAP the mail can stay on the server, so unless you tell your MUA to download a copy locally you only see index files.

With the Evolution MUA, also using IMAP on gmail.com the mbox files are easily seen. in .evolution

I suspect that I should post on a Thunderbird mailing list and ask where the mbox files are located on my Desktop, or, if using IMAP, as I am, there are no mbox files on my Desktop. Probably it's one or the other.

I guess evolution automatically saves a local copy of your mail.
As I suggested earlier, Thunderbird does not.
Go in File, Offline, "Download/Sync now" and choose the folders that you want to download...