On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Marcus Moeller wrote:

Hi all.

I have set up a DHCP server with multiple subnet configurations (let's say subnet A and B). Within that I have declared pools and static hosts addresses.

Now, if I have set up a static host entry (with fixed-address) in Subnet B for a specific machine and try to connect to Subnet A with that NIC (where it should obtain an address from the range), this does not work unless I add a static host entry for that machine to the Subnet A declaration, too. I even have to assign a fixed-address, there.

I just want the NIC to clain it's address from the range on Subnet A and to assign a fixed address on Subnet B.

You can assign multiple host blocks for the same NIC, using a fixed-address directive in one but not in other. dhcpd will try for the best match. If the request arrives from subnet-B, and the fixed address is on that net, then that's the block that gets used. Otherwise, the less specific block will be used. E.g.,

  host myhost {
    hardware ethernet 11:22:33:44:55:66;
    fixed-address myhost.mydom.com;
  }