Ralph Angenendt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

William L. Maltby wrote:
> Hmm. I wonder then if that is a bug in CentOS. Since the "default" shown
> from the earlier posts indicates that several other pieces, including
> the server daemon, should come along with the "mandatory" piece, mysql.

No, why? Probably some package in default needs the client libraries of
MySQL, so those are installed.

Ralph
I think there was a change in upstream as of about version 4 to *not* install any actual database by default. Only the client gets installed. The argument was that their support folks were spending an inordinate amount of time helping people get their databases configured and running.
Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce