Lanny Marcus wrote:
Booting from the CentOS 5.2 Installation DVD (or the first
Installation CD), one can type "linux rescue" and then "chroot
/mnt/sysimage" and have full root access to the OS  on the HD. For
future reference, I would like to know what I did wrong, the past
couple of days, when trying to use the CentOS 5.2 i386 Live CD, for
rescue. From a terminal, "su -" did not seem to get me root access to
the hard drive. What command should I have used, with the Live CD? The
access I had was read only. (As it turns out, I could have fixed the
problem, without the LiveCD, but I didn't know that, 3 days ago....
:-)   )  TIA.  Lanny
Referring to one of your earlier posts,

       [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ mount
       /dev/mapper/livecd-rw on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
       proc on /proc type proc (rw)
       sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
       tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
       none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
       /dev/hdc on /mnt/live type iso9660 (ro)
       /dev/hda2 on /mnt/disc/hda2 type ext3 (ro)
       /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on /mnt/lvm/VolGroup00-LogVol00 type
ext3 (ro)
       sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

the boot partition, /dev/hda2 was mounted Read-Only (ro).
To work around that little problem, simply:
# mount /dev/hda2 -o rw,remount
which remounts the partition Read-Write so you can work with it instead of only observe. Now, I believe the Live CD is missing the chroot command. This means you have to do the "bookkeeping" manually. The grub.conf file (normally at /boot/grub/grub.conf) will now appear at /mnt/disc/hda2/grub/grub.conf. Note that there is no "/boot" in that path.

And yes, the farther you are from the monitor, the clearer it all becomes.