Lanny Marcus wrote:
On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Dick Roth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Lanny Marcus wrote:
On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Dick Roth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Somehow I did something that caused my gnome desktop to evaporate.  The
only
thing that hasn't vanished is the task bar I have set up at the bottom of
the screen.

Which configuration files/directory may have become corrupt or gone? Any
help would be appreciated.
<snip>
If you create a new 'user' and they don't have icons or accounts then
something is funny in /usr which is causing stuff to not work. If it
only happens to you then its probably issues with various .files.

 It was working and then he did something and it stopped working. I
looked again, in the 3 .gnome folders and I don't see anything that
rings a bell. There is some file that he needs to delete, log out and
then log in again and it will create a new enviornment for him. The
mystery is, which file and where is it.

Got it!! Apparently I hadn't replaced all the hidden directories in ~. I tried once more and voila!

Thank you for your help.  I'm back in business.

ttfn,
Dick

                                             --Benjamin Franklin 1755