wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to clone my hardisk containing the centos-5.3 OS and its swap
> region on  to new raw hardisk via network
> either through ssh, tftp or ftp. How do i do that ?
>
> Is there any Tool for that or will DD command be sufficient.I know that dd
> command will have to be used on hardisk
> with already existing partitions and not on raw disk.

DD is not really the proper tool for this, for a whole pile of reasons.
See the article I wrote on this subject at the URL:

http://www.deepsoft.com/2009/01/how-to-transfer-a-linux-system-from-one-disk-to-another/

While the above article assumes that the copy is on a second *local*
disk, it is trivial to insert 'ssh remote.host.domain' into the pipe line.

> Regards,
> Premraj M
> Disclaimer : This message is proprietary to Smartlink Network Systems Limited
> and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
> It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be
> circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you
> have received this message in error, please notify the originator
> immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you
> are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the
> contents of this message. Smartlink Network Systems Ltd. accepts no
> responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information
> transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

> This email has been scrubbed for your protection by SecureMX.
> For more information visit http://securemx.in

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
hel...@deepsoft.com       -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/