Greetings all-

My apologies for the slightly OT post. My primary production platform *IS*
CentOS 5.x with a minor scattering of 4.x machines behind firewalls here and
there...

I find that I'm being placed more and more into a 'quasi-developer' role which
strays some from my normal system/network admin duties. Specifically, having to
work with the deep internals of make, autoconf, libtool, cross platform
compilation, non-standard libs, etc. My head spins some days trying to work
through some of these types of issues.

I'm hoping someone knows of a good resource or book that explains the general
'open source' or '*NIX' method of application development, compilation, and
dependency/library handling. Specifically, how to take source, and turn it into
a "./configure, make, make install" type release and everything that is
involved in doing so.

I certainly have experience compiling, installing, using software in this
manner, but I would like (need?) to learn more about how it all works.

Google has been helpful if I'm looking for direct documentation of each of the
standard tools (gcc, make, autoconf, libtool, etc), but I've been unable to
find something that details the components together, and explains their
relationship.

Again, my apologies for the OT post. I hope some bright minds on the list can
shed a few thoughts.

--Tim