On 5/2/2011 10:14 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Major networking gear does this; cisco, for instance, gives you things like
> FastEthernet4/47, or GigabitEthernet2/2, or TenGigabitEthernet1/0, or POS3/0,
> etc for networking interfaces.  Having seen the PCI eth device flips before
> between update releases of EL4, to give one example, it's really nice to be
> able to really know what device you've plugged a particular cable into, and
> know it in an unequivocal, and unchanging way.

Yes, good comparison.  Imagine if you had to guess which router
interface or managed switch port configuration/name is connected to
which wire.  That's exactly the situation you have with a multi-nic
linux box - which may have an equally complex network setup.  For things
that don't need the bandwidth of multiple interfaces I've found it
easier to use a single VLAN trunk connection and split the subnets out
with vlan interfaces.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikes...@gmail.com