On Thu, 5 May 2011, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Clonezilla-live is a handy, faster way to do this.
>>
>> I've recast my original message slightly, as you've missed a critical point:
>> I use the cloning tool from the rescue or live media of the OS that's
>> installed.  There are a number of reasons for this, not the least of which
>> is that LVM, RAID, and some other things behave differently depending upon
>> the kernel, lvm tools, etc, that's running the clone.
>
> I generally try to avoid layers that are likely to have breakage between
> different versions.  Backwards compatibility is a good thing, as is the
> ability to move disks around among different hosts.
>
> That said, Clonezilla doesn't deal with software raid in the disk image
> mode - even raid1 where it should be simple.  You can do single
> partitions at a time though, and then it is agnostic about the
> underlying layers but you have to deal with making it bootable yourself.

I can recommend ReaR (Relax and Recover) for migrations and cloning
systems. I have been working wit the Relax and Recover project for the
past few months together with a colleague and it now covers a lot of
situations:

  - HWRAID (SmartArray), SWRAID, DRBD, partitions, encrypted
    partitions, LVM

  - It supports bootable tapes (OBDR), ISO images and USB media

  - It supports backup software for restoring (like Bacula, TSM, rsync and
    others)

  - And it can also take care of backups (using rsync, tar) using different
    solutions (NFS, USB, Samba, ...)

  - It's modular, so with little effort you can implement your own workflow
    or use-case

However I would stress to test a complete disaster recover scenario for
your systems (different technologies) in order to understand if everything
is supported. You don't want to realize a problem in disaster-mode :)

But for the use-cases we have, the current trunk is very usable and
flexible to support restoring on different hardware. Even with different
controllers/disks etc... During recovery you can still adapt the layout
and make changes to your wishes before restoring.

We are preparing a new stable minor release (without the new layout code
enabled by default), but after that release there should be a new major
release covering everything I mentioned by default.

If you need more help, feel free to join the ReaR mailinglist on
sourceforge and ask your questions :)

     http://rear.sourceforge.net/

And if you happen to go to LinuxTag, we're having two discussion sessions
for developers and users on Wednesday and Thursday.

--
-- dag wieers, d...@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, i...@dagit.net, http://dagit.net/