On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Peter Eckel <li...@eckel-edv.de> wrote:

>> So what does that mean for a client application (http/ftp,etc.) where
>> you might have local firewalls permitting things for internal-subnet
>> source ranges but you also have external targets that only accept
>> pre-configured static sources?
>
> Are you referring to the situation where you have several clients on the
> internal network that use NAT to appear as one single IPv4 host to an
> external server, which allows access based on that global outside NAT address?

Yes, we have relationships with outside services that require
pre-registering the source addresses that will be used for access.  In
the NAT scenario, these become the public side of the gateways that
might be used - a manageable number, even for a large cluster of
internal hosts.   And we have internal firewalling among subnets based
on the private address ranges of the hosts. I'd assume this is a
common, if not universal situation for organizations.

> The situation is a bit different without NAT. Instead of filtering on a
> single IPv4 address the external server would filter on a /64 IPv6 network.
> Security-wise there is no difference as you'll never get smaller allocations
> than /64 per site anyway, so what with respect to filtering was was a single
> IPv4 address with IPv4/NAT is a /64 subnet with IPv6: A unique identifier of
> the network connecting to the external server. Both with IPv4/NAT and IPv6
> the server only knows which network you are coming from, not which specific
> host is trying to connect.
>
> When there really is a requirement that the external server allows only a
> single address to access it and that can't be changed, you could resort to
> using a proxy.

What is typical or reasonable for source address restrictions?   That
is, if  there are 2 global organizations, and one wants to increase
the security on access to a service by limiting to the source
addresses that might come from the other, is there a sane way to
specify it, and to make the application use those addresses at the
right times if the interface has others?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikes...@gmail.com