On Mon, 21 May 2012, James Pifer wrote:

I know this question could be asked on tomcat or possibly other mailing lists, but I'm hoping I can get some help here instead of joining yet another list.

I'm running tomcat5 on CentOS 5.8. I'm trying to setup Oracle/Sun java rather than icedtea. I've installed the latest jdk 1.7 and setup alternatives on centos for java and javac:

# java -version
java version "1.7.0_03"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 22.1-b02, mixed mode)

I've also set /etc/tomcat5/tomcat5.conf to point JAVA_HOME to this jdk.

When I try to start tomcat5 I get:

Starting tomcat5: /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find
jdbc-stdext Java extension for this JVM

If you want to run Tomcat under Oracle's JVM, then you can't use the CentOS Tomcat; you'll need to download it directly from Apache.

  http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi

Note that Tomcat 5 reaches EOL later this year.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com