On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Joseph Hesse wrote:

I am running Wordpress on a CentOS 6.5 server which is behind a router.
The private IP is 192.168.0.99, the public URL is X.com (name changed).

I have two virtual hosts in my httpd.conf file.  The second one, listed
below, is for Wordpress and it is accessed with http://X.com/d4i or
http://www.X.com/d4i. They work fine.

Actually, not show, I have more Wordpress virtual hosts, and they are
accessed with http://X.com/s1, http://X.com/s2, etc. and they work.

I want the first virtual host to be a default and accessed whenever a
user types http://X.com (no sub directory).  There is a valid
/var/www/html/index.html file.

Unfortunately it doesn't work.  The error is "Directory index forbidden
by Options directive: /var/www/wordpress/" and googling didn't help.

I have my httpd.conf and error.log below.

Thank you, Joe

============== httpd.conf ==============
ServerName 192.168.0.99

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
 ServerName IDoNotExist.com
 DocumentRoot /var/www/html
 DirectoryIndex Index.html index.html
</VirtualHost>

Since the ServerName for your first virtual host is NOT X.com, no one will get to this virtual host unless they specify the IP address associated with X.com, so /var/www/html won't be the DocumentRoot for people attempting to reach X.com.

<VirtualHost *:80>
 ServerName X.com
 ServerAlias www.X.com
 DocumentRoot /var/www/wordpress
 DirectoryIndex Index.html index.html index.php Index.php
 CustomLog logs/access_log_custom common
</VirtualHost>

Here's the host people will reach via http://X.com/.

My first guess is that the Unix permissions on /var/www/wordpress or the index.php file within it are too restrictive.

My second guess is that the SELinux labels for them might be incorrect.

My third guess is that there's a restriction somewhere in the httpd.conf that you didn't snip for us.