Hi All,

On 28 May 2012, at 12:28, Jerker Nyberg wrote:

> This may not really be a subject ceph-devel mailinglist but rather a
> potential ceph-users? I hope it is ok to write here. I would like to discuss
> the if it sounds reasonable to run a Ceph cluster distributed over a metro
> (city) network.
>
> Let us assume we have a couple of sites distributed over a metro network with
> at least gigabit interconnect. The demands for storage capacity and speed at
> our sites are increasing together with the demands for reasonably stable
> storage. May Ceph be a port of a solution?
>
> One idea is to set up Ceph distributed over this metro network. A public
> service network is announced at all sites, anycasted from the storage
> SMB/NFS/RGW(?)-to-Ceph gateway. (for stateless connections). Statefull
> connections (iSCSI?) has to contact the individual storage gateways and
> redundancy is handled at the application level (dual path). Ceph kernel
> clients contact the storage servers directly.
>
> Hopefully this means that clients at the sites with a storage gateway will
> contact it. Clients at a site without a local storage gateway, or when the
> local gateway is down, will contact a storage gateway at another site.
>
> Hopefully not all power and network at the whole city will go down at once!
>
> Does this sound reasonable? It should be easy to scale up with more storage
> nodes with Ceph. Or is it better to put all servers in the same server room?
>
>                        Internet
>                         |   |
>                        Routers
>                         |   |
>   Metro network  =============================
>                  |     |     |     |    |    |
>   Sites          R     R     R     R    R    R
>   Servers      Ceph1 Ceph2 Ceph3 Ceph4

I'm also interested in this type of use case, I would be interested in running
a ceph cluster across a metropolitan area network. Has anyone tried running
ceph in a WAN/MAN environment across a city/state/country?

Regards,
Jimmy Tang

--
Senior Software Engineer, Digital Repository of Ireland (DRI)
Trinity Centre for High Performance Computing,