On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Isaac Otsiabah <zmoo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am trying to understand ceph deployment direction because from this link
> http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/deployment/
> it
>  is mentioned that mkcephfs is dreprecated. It also has the statement
> below which mentions light-weight deployment scripts to help you
> evaluate Ceph.
>

> "We provide light-weight deployment scripts to help you evaluate Ceph. For
> professional deployment, you should consider professional deployment systems
> such as Juju, Puppet, Chef or Crowbar."
>
> I  think there is a need to have native ceph deployment tools that aren't
> dependent upon any third party deployment tools. So my question is this
>
>     1. when will the light-weight deployment scripts be
> available and which ceph version will they be released into?

Check out ceph-deploy, available at
https://github.com/ceph/ceph-deploy. It works against development
releases now, and I believe also against argonaut v0.48.2.

>     2. Now, going forward, when will mkcephfs not work anymore (what ceph
> version)?

It will continue to work at least as well as it has throughout
Bobtail. (In fact, we're hoping to get a few more patches in that make
it slightly less painful.) However, as anybody who's tried long-term
use of a Ceph cluster deployed with mkcephfs will tell you, it's just
not much fun. This is why we're developing the new ceph-deploy system,
which supports things like adding new daemons, building the system in
multiple, re-runnable steps, etc.

Our messaging has been somewhat inconsistent because there are all
these problems with mkcephfs, but ceph-deploy hasn't been well-tested
yet either. Look for us to start pushing people more strongly in the
coming months once we've validated it.
-Greg