Sequential is faster than random on a disk, but we are not
doing I/O to a disk, but a distributed storage cluster:

  small random operations are striped over multiple objects and
  servers, and so can proceed in parallel and take advantage of
  more nodes and disks.  This parallelism can overcome the added
  latencies of network I/O to yield very good throughput.

  small sequential read and write operations are serialized on
  a single server, NIC, and drive.  This serialization eliminates
  parallelism, and the network and other queuing delays are no
  longer compensated for.

This striping is a good idea for the small random I/O that is
typical of the way Linux systems talk to their disks.  But for
other I/O patterns, it is not optimal.