Have you tried rest-bench on localhost at the rados gateway? I was
playing with the rados gateway in a VM the other day, and was getting
up to 400/s on 4k objects. Above that I was getting connection
failures, but I think it was just due to a default max connections
setting somewhere or something. My VM is on SSD though. I was just
thinking it may help isolate the issue.