On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 1:17 AM, Loic Dachary <l...@dachary.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the context of the implementation of
>
> http://wiki.ceph.com/01Planning/02Blueprints/Dumpling/Erasure_encoding_as_a_storage_backend
>
> I'm preparing tests to assert that the modifications that will be made to the
> existing PG and ReplicatedPG will not introduce regressions. Unless I'm
> mistaken, there are no unit tests or functional tests for PG or ReplicatedPG
> at the moment. I thought that it might be useful to add an abstract OSD class
> from which OSD is derived, to allow a test to derive from it to implement
> synthetic behavior.
>

> I gave it a try and it passes make check successfully. It is a little hairy
> because I commented out the code instead of removing it to help with rebasing.
>
> https://github.com/dachary/ceph/commit/a9eb690a3537c3f844b47e76cde048b084e314eb
>
> I'll now try to use it to implement some tests for ReplicatedPG.
>
> I would very much appreciate if someone has an advice on the best way to
> proceed. Even if it's to say : "you're crazy, don't go there ! you're wasting
> your time, there is a much simpler way !" ;-)

What's your plot here? The OSD is fairly large to be doing unit tests
on (although it's not insensible) — but if we want to form a new PG it
might be best to start out by making abstract PG implementations.
That'll be a bit easier since I believe I they only access the
OSDService now, and not the OSD proper.
-Greg