With the newer rados, just running  rados -p somepool load-gen, we get

preparing 200 objects
load-gen will run 60 seconds
    1: throughput=0MB/sec pending data=0
    2: throughput=0MB/sec pending data=0
    3: throughput=0MB/sec pending data=0
    4: throughput=0MB/sec pending data=0
    5: throughput=0MB/sec pending data=0
    6: throughput=0MB/sec pending data=0

But I see the change that caused this behavior was explicitly initializing
lg.max_ops to 0.
Before this, max_ops was just whatever happened to be in memory.

So the newer load-gen works fine as long as you explicitly set --max-ops on the
command line.

-- Tom Deneau