On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 08:12:37PM -0700, Josh Durgin wrote:
> On 10/14/2015 12:34 PM, Jason Dillaman wrote:
> >In general, I like the approach.
> >
> >I am concerned about passing a void* + length to specify the option value
> >since you really can't protect against the user providing data in the
> >incorrect format.  For example, if the backend treated
> >RBD_OPTION_STRIPE_UNIT as a 4byte int, what happens if someone passes a 2-
> >or 8-byte int or a 4-byte char* string?  Therefore, I would vote for passing
> >strings a la librados rados_conf_set.
>
> It seems like that'd be a bit clunky from C, since you'd need to create
> and fill in buffers for each option.
>
> For safety we could have typed rbd_image_options_{get,set} for char*
> and uint64_t - it doesn't seem like we need any other types right now,
> since uint64_t is a superset of what we use int for.

I like this approach much more than using string, due to its
simplicity. I prefer it if my reasoning about my initial version I
sent in the response to Jason doesn't change your mind, guys.

> Another alternative is a single get/set that takes a tagged union, e.g.
>
> struct rbd_image_option {
>     int option;
>     int type;
>     union {
>         uint64_t ui
>         int       i
>         char*     s // NUL-terminated
>     };
> }
>
> where type is an enum of RBD_OPTION_TYPE_{UINT64,INT,STRING} or
> similar.

Could do this way, it is ok to me too, though I like it a little less
than my version as I expect the code to encode/decode this would be a
little more complicated.

So, summarizing, I am listing the discussed approaches in the order I
like them from more to less.

1) initial variant (void*, lenght)
2) rbd_image_options_{get,set}_{uint64,str}
3) struct rbd_image_option
4) use string for options

Please tell me what you like more, I agree to do any way.

Thanks.