Adding to this,

On Tue, 2015-10-20 at 05:34 -0700, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2015, James (Fei) Liu-SSI wrote:
> > Hi Sage and Somnath,
> >   In my humble opinion, There is another more aggressive solution than
> > raw block device base keyvalue store as backend for objectstore. The new
> > key value SSD device with transaction support would be ideal to solve
> > the issues. First of all, it is raw SSD device. Secondly , It provides
> > key value interface directly from SSD. Thirdly, it can provide
> > transaction support, consistency will be guaranteed by hardware device.
> > It pretty much satisfied all of objectstore needs without any extra
> > overhead since there is not any extra layer in between device and
> > objectstore.
>
> Are you talking about open channel SSDs?  Or something else?  Everything
> I'm familiar with that is currently shipping is exposing a vanilla block
> interface (conventional SSDs) that hides all of that or NVMe (which isn't
> much better).
>
> If there is a low-level KV interface we can consume that would be
> great--especially if we can glue it to our KeyValueDB abstract API.  Even
> so, we need to make sure that the object *data* also has an efficient API
> we can utilize that efficiently handles block-sized/aligned data.

If there's a way to efficiently utilize more generic NVRAM-based block
devices for quick metadata ops such that payload data can fly without
much delay, I'd be quite happy.

Also, a current concern of mine is backups in some fashion of the
metadata, given risk for (human configuration error||device
malfunction)&&(cluster wide power outage).
Some type of flushing to underlying consistent media, and/or
snapshot-like backups.

As long as the constructs aren't too exotic,  perhaps this could be
addressed using standard Linux FS or device mapper code (bcache, or
other)

Not sure how popular journals on NVRAM is. But here's one user at least.

/M