It's certainly possible. It makes things a little more complex though. Some
questions you may want to consider during the design..
- Is the customer aware this won't preserve any data on the luns they are
hoping to reuse.
- Is the plan to eventually replace the SAN with JBOD, in the same systems?
If so you may want to make your luns look like the eventual drive size and
count.
- Is the plan to use a few systems with SAN and add standalone systems
later? Then you need to calculate expected speeds and divide between
failure domains.
- Is the plan to use a couple of hosts with SAN to save money, and have the
rest be traditional Ceph storage? If so consider putting the SAN hosts all
in one failure domain.
- Depending on the SAN you may consider aligning your failure domains to
different arrays, switches, or even array directors.
- Remember to take the hosts network speed into consideration when
calculating how many luns to put on each host.

Hope that helps.

-Brett