On Tue, Sep 03, 2019 at 05:42:22PM +0200, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Mandi! Alwin Antreich
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > > I'm not a ceph expert, but solution iii) seems decent for me, with a
> > > little overhead (a readlinkk and a stat for every osd start).
> > However you like it. But to note that in Ceph Nautilus the udev rules
> > aren't shipped anymore.
>
> Ok. I make a note.
>

> > > But still i don't understood why, if i have:
> > > and:
> > > (so, journal partition group-owned by 'disk' and 'ceph' user in group
> > > 'disk'), still i have permission access.
> > > The ceph-osd process reset group ownership on runtime?
> > In Luminous udev is handling all of that, see 95-ceph-osd.rules.
>
> No, sorry, evidently i'm not explaining myself correctly.
>
> I've added the 'ceph' user to group 'disk':
> > >   root@capitanmarvel:~# LANG=C id ceph
> > >   uid=64045(ceph) gid=64045(ceph) groups=64045(ceph),6(disk)
>
> and journal devices are group-owned by 'disk' and have read and write
> permission for the group (660):
> > >   brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 6 ago 28 14:38 /dev/sda6
>
> So, because user 'ceph' are in group 'disk', and group 'disk' have read
> and write permission to the device, i can ACTUALLY read and write to
> the device. But is not the case.
>
> So, seems to me that 'ceph-osd' process ''reset'' group membership and
> ignore the 'disk' group.
> Note, that if i 'su' to ceph, i can read the disks:
The ceph-osd process runs with user and group ceph and this is why it wants
the group on the disk to be ceph as well.

  ps xa -o user,group,command | grep ceph-osd

You would need to change the service template and alter the setgroup to
'disk' or 'ceph' to make it work.

-- 8< --
   CGroup: /system.slice/system-ceph\x2dosd.slice/ceph-osd@1.service
           └─7643 /usr/bin/ceph-osd -f --cluster ceph --id 1 --setuser ceph
--setgroup ceph
-- 8< --

I still recommend to go with an extra SSD and spare the hassle.

--
Cheers,
Alwin