I previously posted this question to lists.ceph.com not understanding
lists.ceph.io is the replacement for it.  Posting it again here with some edits.

---

Hi there, we have been using ceph for a few years now, it's only now that
I've noticed we have been using the same name for all RGW hosts, resulting
when you run ceph -s:

rgw: 1 daemon active (..)

also our ceph.conf looks like (for rgw)

[client.radosgw.gateway]

despite having more than 10 RGW hosts.

* What are the side effects of doing this? Is this a no-no? I can see the
metrics can (ceph daemon ... perf dump) be wrong, are the metrics kept
track independently (per host)?  Can this affect performance negatively by any
chance? (we are using the same key obviously..)

* We recently upgraded from Lumunious to Nautilus, I've noticed that later docs
all prescribes radosgw config section as

[client.rgw.{instance-name}]
..

should we make this change?

Much appreciated!