Dear Cephers,

A few days ago disaster struck the Ceph cluster (erasure-coded) I am
administrating, as the UPS power was pull from the cluster causing a power
outage.

After rebooting the system, 6 osds were lost (spread over 5 osd nodes) as they
could not mount anymore, several others had damages. This was more than the
host-faliure domain was setup to handle and auto-recovery failed and osds
started downing in a cascading maner.

When the dust settled, there were 8 pgs (of 2048) inactive and a bunch of osds
down. I managed to recover 5 pgs, mainly by ceph-objectstore-tool
export/import/repair commands, but now I am left with 3 pgs that are inactive
and incomplete.

One of the pgs seems un-salvageable, as I cannot get to become active at all
(repair/import/export/lowering min_size), but the two others I can get active
if I export/import one of the pg shards and restart osd.

Rebuilding then starts but after a while one of the osds holding the pgs goes
down, with a "FAILED ceph_assert(clone_size.count(clone))" message in the log.

If I set osds to noout nodown, then I can that it is only rather few objects
e.g. 161 of a pg of >100000, that are failing to be remapped.

Since most of the object in the two pgs seem intact, it would be sad to delete
the whole pg (force-create-pg) and loose all that data.

Is there a way to show and delete the failing objects?

I have thought of a recovery plan and want to share that with you, so you can
comment on this if it sounds doable or not?

  *   Stop osds from recovering:    ceph osd set norecover
  *   bring back pgs active:            ceph-objectstore-tool export/import and
restart osd
  *   find files in pgs:                      cephfs-data-scan pg_files <path>
<pg id>
  *   pull out as many as possible of those files to other location.
  *   recreate pgs:                          ceph osd force-create-pg <pgid>
  *   restart recovery:                        ceph osd unset norecover
  *   copy back in the recovered files

Would that work or do you have a better suggestion?

Cheers,

Jesper

Jesper Lykkegaard Karlsen
Scientific Computing
Centre for Structural Biology
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics
Aarhus University
Gustav Wieds Vej 10
8000 Aarhus C

E-mail: je...@mbg.au.dk