version 14.2.9 nautilus

I have just set up my first cluster with one admin/monitor host and six OSDs.
Everything appears to be working fine. I wanted to add a couple more monitors
on the OSDs, and following the quick ceph deploy documentation I did:

ceph-deploy mon add icephnode01
ceph-deploy mon add icephnode04

This installs and starts the monitor daemons on the two nodes, but they are
stuck at probing. They have the right networking and firewall exemptions as far
as I can tell, so I don't think it's that. If I get a copy of the monmap with
'ceph mon getmap' and use monmaptool  to look at it I can only see that one
host. Likewise ceph.conf only contains the one initial host.

Should I have done something before the ceph-deploy mon add to modify the
monmap? Or am I way off base?

Thanks for your patience with a beginner question!

Chris