> Looking for a bit of guidance / approach to upgrading from Nautilus to
> Octopus considering CentOS and Ceph-Ansible.
>
> We're presently running a Nautilus cluster (all nodes / daemons 14.2.11 as
> of this post).
> - There are 4 monitor-hosts with mon, mgr, and dashboard functions
> consolidated;

You want an odd number of mons.  Add or remove one.

> - 4 RGW hosts
> - 4 ODS costs, with 10 OSDs each.   This is planned to scale to 7 nodes
> with additional OSDs and capacity (considering to do this as part of
> upgrade process)

 Don’t tempt fate.  One thing at a time. Not three.

> - Currently using ceph-ansible (however it's a process to maintain scripts
> / configs between playbook versions - although a great framework, not ideal
> in our case;

^ Kefu  ;)

> Octopus support on CentOS 7 is limited due to python dependencies, as a
> result we want to move to CentOS 8 or Ubuntu 20.04.

Do you have a compelling reason to go to Octopus today?

>   The other outlier is CentOS native Kernel support for LSI2008 (eg. 9211)
> HBAs which some of our
> OSD nodes use.

How is this a factor, do newer kernels drop support for that old HBA?

> Here's an upgrade path scenario that is being considered.   At a high-level:

I suggest that if you are set on doing this, you do one step at a time and
don’t try to get fancy.  Especially since you only have one cluster.

I believe there are Nautlius packages available for CentOS 8 now, so perhaps:

* Update each node — serially — to CentOS 8 + new Ceph packages
* Update to Octopus via the documented method
* Add your new nodes