Hi Michael,

some quick thoughts.

That you can create a pool with 1 PG is a good sign, the crush rule is OK. That
pg query says it doesn't have PG 1.0 points in the right direction. There is an
inconsistency in the cluster. This is also indicated by the fact that no upmaps
seem to exist (the clean-up script was empty). With the osd map you extracted,
you could check what the osd map believes the mapping of the PGs of pool 1 are:

  # osdmaptool osd.map --test-map-pgs-dump --pool 1

or if it also claims the PG does not exist. It looks like something went wrong
during pool creation and you are not the only one having problems with this
particular pool: https://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-users/msg52665.html .
Sounds a lot like a bug in cephadm.

In principle, it looks like the idea to delete and recreate the health metrics
pool is a way forward. Please look at the procedure mentioned in the thread
quoted above. Deletion of the pool there lead to some crashes and some surgery
on some OSDs was necessary. However, in your case it might just work, because
you redeployed the OSDs in question already - if I remember correctly.

In order to do so cleanly, however, you will probably want to shut down all
clients accessing this pool. Note that clients accessing the health metrics
pool are not FS clients, so the mds cannot tell you anything about them. The
only command that seems to list all clients is

  # ceph daemon mon.MON-ID sessions

that needs to be executed on all mon hosts. On the other hand, you could also
just go ahead and see if something crashes (an MGR module probably) or disable
all MGR modules during this recovery attempt. I found some info that cephadm
creates this pool and starts an MGR module.

If you google "device_health_metric pool" you should find descriptions of
similar cases. It looks solvable.

I will look at the incomplete PG issue. I hope this is just some PG tuning. At
least pg query didn't complain :)

The stuck MDS request could be an attempt to access an unfound object. It
should be possible to locate the fs client and find out what it was trying to
do. I see this sometimes when people are too impatient. They manage to trigger
a race condition and an MDS operation gets stuck (there are MDS bugs and in my
case it was an ls command that got stuck). Usually, evicting the client
temporarily solves the issue (but tell the user :).

Best regards,
Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus
Bygning 109, rum S14