> 在 2020年10月26日,00:07,Anthony D'Atri <anthony.da...@gmail.com> 写道:
>
>> I'm not entirely sure if primary on SSD will actually make the read happen
>> on SSD.
>
> My understanding is that by default reads always happen from the lead OSD in
> the acting set.  Octopus seems to (finally) have an option to spread the
> reads around, which IIRC defaults to false.

I also remember that “by default reads always happen from the lead OSD in the
acting set”. I dig through git blame and it seems ceph-fuse has a
—localize-reads options since 10 years ago [1], through not documented
anywhere. I don’t find such setting in kernel ceph module.

[1]:
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commit/7912f5c7034bd26d22615d1be1d398849e124749

> I’ve never seen anything that implies that lead OSDs within an acting set are
> a function of CRUSH rule ordering. I’m not asserting that they aren’t though,
> but I’m … skeptical.

That conclusion is from experiments. I create an empty pool with above
mentioned CRUSH rule, and all 32 pgs have SSD as primary.

> Setting primary affinity would do the job, and you’d want to have cron
> continually update it across the cluster to react to topology changes.  I was
> told of this strategy back in 2014, but haven’t personally seen it
> implemented.

I’m also considering this. But if I set the primary affinity of HDDs to 0, then
what will happen if I create another all-HDD pool? Or I should just set primary
affinity to a very small value, say 0.00001.

> That said, HDDs are more of a bottleneck for writes than reads and just might
> be fine for your application.  Tiny reads are going to limit you to some
> degree regardless of drive type, and you do mention throughput, not IOPS.
>
> I must echo Frank’s notes about capacity too.  Ceph can do a lot of things,
> but that doesn’t mean something exotic is necessarily the best choice.
> You’re concerned about 3R only yielding 1/3 of raw capacity if using an
> all-SSD cluster, but the architecture you propose limits you anyway because
> drive size. Consider also chassis, CPU, RAM, RU, switch port costs as well,
> and the cost of you fussing over an exotic solution instead of the hundreds
> of other things in your backlog.
>
> And your cluster as described is *tiny*.  Honestly I’d suggest considering
> one of these alternatives:
>
> * Ditch the HDDs, use QLC flash.  The emerging EDSFF drives are really
> promising for replacing HDDs for density in this kind of application.  You
> might even consider ARM if IOPs aren’t a concern.
> * An NVMeoF solution

Thanks for the advices, we will discuss on these. But this deployment is on
existing server hardwares, so we don’t have many choices. And our budget is
very limited. We want to make best use of our existing SSDs. And we have plenty
of cold data to fill our HDDs. We will not worry about the wasting of HDD
capacity.

Sorry Anthony, I sent this mail twice. I forgot to CC this mail list at first.