>> So if you are doing maintenance on a mon host in a 5 mon cluster you will
>> still have 3 in the quorum.
>
> Exactly. I was in exactly this situation, doing maintenance on 1 and screwing
> up number 2. Service outage

Been there.  I had a cluster that nominally had 5 mons.  Two suffered hardware
issues, so it ran on 3 for a distressingly extended period, a function of
sparing policies, a dilatory CSO, and a bizarre chassis selection that was not
used for any other purpose.  The cluster ran fine, though there was a client
side bug (Kefu might remember this).

The moral of the story is not that 5 doesn’t protect you, but rather that with
3 it could have been much, much worse.  Especially with overseas unstaffed DCs.
 Mons are lightweight and inexpensive compared to compute or OSD nodes, the
burgeoning constellation of ceph-mgr plugins notwithstanding.

Double failures happen.  They happen to OSD nodes, which is one reason why 2R
is a bad idea.  They happen to mons too.

Back …. I think it was the 2015 OpenStack Summit in Vancouver, there was a Ceph
operators BoF of sorts where the question was raise if anyone found going to 7
to be advantageous.  The consensus seemed to be that any RAS benefits were down
the tail of diminishing returns, but that one would be climbing the traffic
curve of inter-mon communication.

imho, ymmv, aad