Thank you both for your response.  So this leads me to the next question:

ceph osd crush rule create-replicated <rule-name> <root> <failure-domain>
<class>

What is <root> and <failure-domain> in this case?

It also looks like this is responsible for things like “rack awareness” type
attributes which is something I’d like to utilize.:

# types
type 0 osd
type 1 host
type 2 chassis
type 3 rack
type 4 row
type 5 pdu
type 6 pod
type 7 room
type 8 datacenter
type 9 zone
type 10 region
type 11 root
This is something I will eventually take advantage of as well.

Thank you!
-jeremy