On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 12:24:12 -0700
Neha Ojha <no...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Given that BlueStore has been the default and more widely used
> objectstore since quite some time, we would like to understand whether
> we can consider deprecating FileStore in our next release, Quincy and
> remove it in the R release. There is also a proposal [0] to add a
> health warning to report FileStore OSDs.

I'd consder this:

- Bluestore requires OSD hosts with 8GB+ of RAM
- In my experience, it performs poorly on HDD-based clusters with a
  small number of disks
- There are very few single-board computers that have 8GB+ of RAM:
  - Raspberry Pi 4 has 8GB, at about AU$100 a pop -- such a machine
    could service *one* OSD.  Also, only one Ethernet port.
  - PC Engines APU[234] stop at 4GB RAM at present, a shame since
    they'd otherwise make great small-form-factor OSD nodes.
  - Lots of other ARM-based SBCs stop at 2GB RAM.  There are a few out
    there that have SATA and multiple Ethernet ports, but RAM rules them
    out for BlueStore.
  - Intel NUCs and similar machines can do Ceph work, but only one
    Ethernet port is a limitation.  (Plus the need to use a console
    to manage them instead of using a BMC with a server board or
    a multiplexed serial console is a nuisance.)

Not all of us using Ceph are big corporates with deep pockets.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.