This topic comes up often enough, maybe it's time for one of those 'web
calculators'.  One that accepts the user who knows their goals but not
ceph-fu,  entering the importance of various factors (my suggested
factors:  read freq/stored tb, write freq/stored tb, unreplicated tb
needed, min target days between first failure and cluster failure).
Then the handy calculator spits out a few ceph configs that shows an
'optimized' layout for their goal, what it would look like if each of
their factors was 'a little more' and 'a little less'.   The calculator
would spit out 'x ssds of size x, y 7200rpm MTBF q, z 5400, sas xx,
using aa hosts with not less than Y gb and P cores of not less than Ghz
single threaded performance/core; ceph configured as mirrors/erasure
etc. etc.  With target expected cost.  That would be a service folks
would pay for I think.   It would be the answer to the question 'what
would it take for  ceph to deliver X?'    Folks would notice quickly
whether they really need 1 cluster, or two of very different performance
goals, etc.