In the middle of a normal cephadm upgrade from 16.2.5 to 16.2.6, after the mgrs
had successfully upgraded, 2/5 mons didn’t come back up (and the upgrade
stopped at that point). Attempting to manually restart the crashed mons
resulted in **all** of the other mons crashing too, usually with:

'ceph::buffer::v15_2_0::malformed_input' what(): void
FSMap::decode(ceph::buffer::v15_2_0::list::const_iterator&) no longer
understand old encoding version v < 7: Malformed input

After some messing around with the monmaps to try and get the few working mons
back in a quorum, we’re now in a state where one mon can run fine (but not
reach a quorum, obviously), but as soon as a second comes up it crashes
instantly. I also can’t start any mon with a monmap containing only one mon –
same output as above.

The rest of the cluster is working as expected (with the obvious exception of
new connections failing). Anyone seen this or have ideas? Happy to provide more
info from the cluster, just wasn’t sure what would actually be helpful…