> > I did an upgrade from 14.2.23 to 16.2.6 not knowing that the current
> > minor version had this nasty bug! [1] [2]
>
> I'm sorry you hit this bug. We tried to warn users through
> documentation. Apparently this is not enough and other ways of informing
> operators about such (rare) incidents might be worthwile. I have put
> this topic on the agenda for the upcoming user + dev monthly meeting
> [1].

This is to be expected not? If you aim to get a broader audience to use ceph
and start making tools like ceph-adm for just clicking next-next-next-done. You
cannot expect then also that this audience is reading anything. I think this is
mutually exclusive behaviour. So you are left only with not allowing the update
to be done via such tools.