Hi Ray,

Disabling the autoscaler on all pools is probably a good idea. At
least until https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/53729 is fixed. (You are
likely not susceptible to that -- but better safe than sorry).

To pause the ongoing PG merges, you can indeed set the pg_num to the
current value. This will allow the ongoing merge complete and prevent
further merges from starting.
>From `ceph osd pool ls detail` you'll see pg_num, pgp_num,
pg_num_target, pgp_num_target... If you share the current values of
those we can help advise what you need to set the pg_num to to
effectively pause things where they are.

BTW -- I'm going to create a request in the tracker that we improve
the pg autoscaler heuristic. IMHO the autoscaler should estimate the
time to carry out a split/merge operation and avoid taking one-way
decisions without permission from the administrator. The autoscaler is
meant to be helpful, not degrade a cluster for 100 days!

Cheers, Dan