On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 11:14 AM Peter Lieven <p...@kamp.de> wrote:

> Von meinem iPhone gesendet
>
> > Am 22.06.2022 um 10:35 schrieb Ilya Dryomov <idryo...@gmail.com>:
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 8:52 PM Peter Lieven <p...@kamp.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> we noticed that some of our long running VMs (1 year without migration)
> >> seem to have a very slow memory leak. Taking a dump of the leaked memory
> >> revealed that it seemed to contain osd and pool information so we
> >> concluded that it must have something to do with crush map updates. We
> >> then wrote a test script in our dev environment that constantly takes out
> >> osds and kicks then back in as soon as all remappings are done.
> >
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > How did you determine what memory is being leaked?
>
> I found relatively large allocations in the qemu smaps and checked the
> contents. It contained several hundred repetitions of osd and pool names. We
> use the default builds on Ubuntu 20.04. Is there a special memory allocator
> in place that might not clean up properly?

Not really a special allocator but there is something referred to as
mempools -- an abstraction created to help with fine-grained memory use
tracking.  It is mostly used on the OSD side (various bluestore caches,
etc), but also for osdmaps on the client side.

> >> With that script running the PSS usage of the Qemu process is constantly
> >> increasing (main memory of the VM is in hugetblfs) in an order of about
> >> 5MB / day for a very small dev cluster with approx. 40 OSDs and 5 pools.
> >>
> >> We have observed this issue first with Nautilus 14.2.22 and then also
> >> tried Octopus 15.2.16 where some issues #38403 should have been fixed.
> >
> > With the release of 15.2.17 in a few weeks, Octopus would be going
> > EOL.  Given that this is a dev cluster, can you try something more
> > recent -- preferably Quincy?
>
> Yes, I can as this is only a client issue. But for production it’s no option
> to move to Quincy.

If the issue exists in Quincy, it will get a lot more attention ;)
We will certainly consider a backport for the upcoming final Octopus
release if the issue is identified and fixed in time.

Thanks,

                Ilya