We are in the middle of a massive recovery event and our monitor DBs keep
exploding to the point that they fill their disk partition (800GB disk).   We
cannot compact it because there is no room on the device for compaction to
happen.  We cannot add another disk at this time either.  We destroyed rebuilt
one of them and now it won't come back into quorum.

What other parameters can we set to limit the growth of the monitor DB during
recovery?
Are there tools to manually purge the LOGM messages from the monitor DB?

We disabled clog_to_monitor already.