On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 7:54 AM Frank Schilder <fr...@dtu.dk> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> I know that "fs fail ..." is not ideal, but we will not have time for a clean
> "fs down true" and wait for journal flush procedure to complete (on our
> cluster this takes at least 20 minutes, which is way too long). My question
> is more along the lines 'Is an "fs fail" destructive?'

It is not but lingering clients will not be evicted automatically by
the MDS. If you can, unmount before doing `fs fail`.

A journal flush is not really necessary. You only should wait ~10
seconds after the last client unmounts to give the MDS time to write
out to its journal any outstanding events.

> , that is, will an FS come up again after
>
> - fs fail
> - fs set <fs_name> joinable true

Yes.

--