From: Wesley Dillingham
Date: 2023-04-25 19:55
To: huxia...@horebdata.cn
CC: ceph-users
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] For suggestions and best practices on expanding Ceph
cluster and removing old nodes
Get on nautilus first and (perhaps even go to pacific) before expansion.
Primarily for the reason that starting  in nautilus degraded data recovery will
be prioritized over remapped data recovery. As you phase out old hardware and
phase in new hardware you will have a very large amount of backfill happening
and if you get into a degraded state in the middle of this backfill it will
take a much longer time for the degraded data to become clean again.

Additionally, you will want to follow the best practice of updating your
cluster in order. In short monitors then managers then osds then MDS and RGW
then other clients. More details here:
https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/releases/nautilus/#upgrading-from-mimic-or-luminous

You dont want to run with a mixed software version cluster longer than a well
coordinated upgrade takes.

Respectfully,

Wes Dillingham
w...@wesdillingham.com