Sometimes one can even get away with "ceph osd down 343" which doesn't affect
the process.  I have had occasions when this goosed peering in a less-intrusive
way.  I believe it just marks the OSD down in the mons' map, and when that
makes it to the OSD, the OSD responds with "I'm not dead yet" and gets marked
up again.