Hi everyone,

I just like to know what's your opinion about the reliability of erasure
coding.

Of course I can understand if we want the «best of the best of the best»
;-) I can choose the replica method.

I heard in many location “replica” are more reliable, “replica” are more
efficient etc...

Yes...well since 25 years I'm using raid (5, 6, lvm, raidz1, raidz2, etc.)
I never loose data only once when a firmware bug in some xxxxx card crash
the raid volume.

Now 25 years later lot of people recommend to use replica so if I buy XTo
I'm only going to have X/3 To (vs raidz2 where I loose 2 disks over 9-12
disks).

So my question are : Anyone use in large scale erasure coding for critical
(same level as raidz1/raid5 ou raidz2/raid6) ?

Regards
--
Albert SHIH 🦫 🐸
Observatoire de Paris