Hi,

you can specify the entire tree in the location statement, if you need to:

ceph:~ # cat host-spec.yaml
service_type: host
hostname: ceph
addr: <IP>
location:
  root: default
  rack: rack2

and after the bootstrap it looks like expected:

ceph:~ # ceph osd tree
ID  CLASS  WEIGHT  TYPE NAME               STATUS  REWEIGHT  PRI-AFF
-1              0  root default
-3              0      rack rack2
-2              0          host ceph

This should be made a bit clearer in the docs [0], I added Zac.

Regards,
Eugen

[0] https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/cephadm/host-management/#setting-the-initial-crush-location-of-host

Zitat von Matthew Vernon <mver...@wikimedia.org>:

Hi,

Returning to this, it looks like the issue wasn't to do with how osd_crush_chooseleaf_type ; I destroyed and re-created my cluster as before, and I have the same problem again:

    pg 1.0 is stuck inactive for 10m, current state unknown, last acting []

as before, ceph osd tree:

root@moss-be1001:/# ceph osd tree
ID  CLASS  WEIGHT     TYPE NAME             STATUS  REWEIGHT  PRI-AFF
-7         176.11194  rack F3
-6         176.11194      host moss-be1003
13    hdd    7.33800          osd.13            up   1.00000  1.00000
15    hdd    7.33800          osd.15            up   1.00000  1.00000

And checking the crushmap, the default bucket is again empty:

root default {
        id -1           # do not change unnecessarily
        id -14 class hdd                # do not change unnecessarily
        # weight 0.00000
        alg straw2
        hash 0  # rjenkins1
}

[by way of confirming that I didn't accidentally leave the old config fragment lying around, the replication rule has:
        step chooseleaf firstn 0 type host
]

So it looks like setting location: in my spec is breaking the cluster bootstrap - the hosts aren't put into default, but neither are the declared racks. As a reminder, that spec has host entries like:

service_type: host
hostname: moss-be1003
addr: 10.64.136.22
location:
  rack: F3
labels:
  - _admin
  - NVMe

Is this expected behaviour? Presumably I can fix the cluster by using "ceph osd crush move F3 root=default" and similar for the others, but is there a way to have what I want done by cephadm bootstrap?

Thanks,

Matthew