Hi,

I have been curiuos about ceph for long time and now I started to experiment to find out, how it works. The idea I like most is, that ceph can provide growing storage without the need to move from storage x to storage y on consumer side.

I started with a 3 node cluster where each node got one OSD (2x 500GB, 1x 1TB). I created the pool and the filesystem, mounted the filesystem and filled it with data. All three OSDs filled up evenly and when the pool reached 70%, I added two 1TB OSDs (each on the node with 500GB). Now I expected some activity to rebalance the fill level of the OSDs, but nothing special happened. The new OSDs got some data, but the 500GB OSDs ran into 95%, the pool reached 100%, everything got stuck with 2 OSDs filled up just 20% and left 80% free space?

I searched the documentation how to initiate the rebalance/redistribution by hand but was unable to find anything.

Can someone please point me to the docs how I can expand the capacity of the pool without such problems.

Thanks in advance

Thomas