On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 09:30:38PM +0200, Tim Mohlmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ok, thanks for al the info.
>
> Just "fyi", I am a mechanical / electrical marine service engineer. So
> basicly
> I think in Pressure, Flow, Contents, Voltage, (mili)amps, power and torque.
> So
> I am just trying to relevate it to the same prinicple. Hence my questions. I
> am certainly not a noob in linux, opensource and that kind of stuff.
>
> It is just I got interested in on-line storage and by some googling I came
> across certain "products" (most of them being propietary) and some of them
> opensource (but looked unmaintained / not very modern) and one of them was
> ceph. After the reading the docs I had some questions and in my opinion they
> are answered.
>
> I know now how to spend the money, and now it time to start finding out how
> make it. I've got a whole bucket of ideas about public apps for my storage
> and
> all this needs to be researched for possibilities. (This was yet the start of
> my quest).

Every journey starts with the first step. :-)

> Again, thanks for the info. If this baby is going to fly, I will keep you
> posted about my findings. Maybe (and really really maybe) I will try to
> contribute to the source, for some features I already think I want to have ;).

Don't be shy about sharing your ideas for new features, maybe some are already
available
or you might be able to do it with some scripting. Maybe someone thinks it is
something
they might want to have as well and will start to work on it.

Recently there was an online developer summit to try and compile such a list
for the near term:

http://ceph.com/events/ceph-developer-summit-summary-and-session-videos/